Monday, February 9, 2009

New York State Archives

In my last post, I told you some details about information I got from the NYS Archives. I have added a clickable link below to the Archives.
Not only is there Civil War information, the Archives has recently begun building in an index to their Revolutionary War records. Today, I'd like to help you access these indexes.
Click on the link below to the Archives, and select "Research" from the left side list. Next, select "research tools" then "state archives name index."
From here, you can put in a name and search for it in all the displayed records, or browse by alpha. Fill out the simple form and send it off with a check. Tell them Sandie sent you!
This includes indexes to Civil War records, and soldiers databases; Revolutionary War records such as pension records and related correspondence, military patent information and some Loyalist information as well. Also available here are records of Attica Correctional facility inmates for 1930 - 1981, and Motion Picture scripts for 1927 - 1965.
I am constantly amazed by discovering what the NYS Archives has available for researchers , historians and genealogists.

No comments: