Sunday, February 22, 2009

Alfred Burlew in the Civil War

I've mentioned the NYS Archives information that I received on some of Scipio's men in blue. Today, I have the paperwork for Alfred Burlew in front of me. The Burlew name is well-known in the northeastern part of our town. Some of that family lived for many years in the beautiful cobblestone house at the corner of Wyckoff Road and State Route 38. The 1850 census likely finds Alfred living with his mother, Harriett, and sister, Cornelia, in Springport, previously a part of Scipio. Other Burlew family members lived along or near Owasco Lake. I'm not sure how Alfred fits, but will let you know when I find out.
The NYS Archives show me that Alfred was born in 1844 in Springport, NY, and was a farmer at the time he enlisted at Scipio on September 1, 1864. Brown hair, black eyes, light complected and 5' 8" tall, Alfred was a recruit assigned from Regimental Headquarters to Company B of the 3rd Artillery. He mustered out on July 13 of 1865 with his Company at Syracuse, NY. Alfred's service was credited to the 24th Congressional District (each Congressional District was held responsible for the numbers they recruited).

No comments: