Friday, September 5, 2008

NYS 4-H Congress

I looked myself up at that great website www.fultonhistory.com and found an article from July of 1968 that brought back some great memories. That was the year I was one of 15 local 4-Hers selected to attend the State Congress for 4-H held at Cornell University in nearby Ithaca NY June 26 - 28 of that year.
I had my Earth Science Regents exam the afternoon of the 26th, and I can still remember how slowly that clock moved while I tried to concentrate on my exam (didn't work, had to repeat the course).
One thousand 4-Hers from each and every county in NY were at this Congress in 1968. They included Cayuga County residents Linda Pierce, summer 4-H assistant; 4-H agent Pat Burns; Vivian Zakielarz, Elaine Foster,Cindy Cappy,Mary Ann Frank and myself from Auburn; Lora Outhouse from Union Springs; Paula Defendorf of Skaneateles; Richard Clark and Sherrie Lloyd of Cato; Sonia Minde and Chris Redmond of Scipio Center; Chris Flanigan of Owasco and Doug Potter of Sennett.
The article in the Citizen Advertiser says the highlights included presentations on several topics and bus tours of the campus. What I remember is being worn out from all the walking around on campus; and meeting other 4-Hers at ceremonies and afterwards at dances and other get-togethers. It broadened our perception of the world and of 4-H.

No comments: