Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mama Was a Daydreamer

I spent some more time at www.fultonhistory.com this weekend, and in the Genoa Tribune of Friday morning, July 25, 1930, found my mother by her maiden name. As Ruth Hitchcock, she completed the 8th grade at Emily Howland High School. Her classmates (or at least the ones who passed!) were Mary Baker, Lavinia Benjamin, Willard Brown, Donald Cook, Frances Grady, George Jacobs, Harry Lacey, Genevieve Lawton, Robert Simkin, George Wade and Lyle Wood.
Of this dozen, I remember my bus driver Lyle Wood and Algebra teacher Willard Brown. Harry Lacey was on our school board and my mother remained friends with Genevieve for many years. I believe Bob Simkin ran a store in Poplar Ridge. So most of her class stayed right in Scipio or Cayuga County.
When I read a little further in the article, I realized that my mother Ruth had perhaps been a bit of a daydreamer. Her marks for 8th grade English and History were 74, not exactly indicating a great deal of attention being paid. I had to laugh though when I saw she excelled at one thing - Silent Reading!

2 comments:

Roger A. Post said...

Sandie, Mary C. Baker also remained in the local area. She married Robert Jetty. During the 1970s, Mary Jetty was Clerk for the Southern Cayuga Central School Board of Education, according to several newspaper news items. Mary lived on Rt. 34B across the road from the Scipioville Presbyterian Church, at least in her later years.

Sandie Stoker Gilliland said...

I did not know Mrs. Jetty's maiden name, Roger, thanks! I certainly remember her from SCCS. I believe her daughter Elaine graduated from Sherwood in 1964 and attended Alfred State University.