Saturday, February 23, 2008

Federal Census 1800 for Scipio, Cayuga County, NY

As I continue to transcribe the 1800 census records, I have another page ready to post here. One of our blog readers has promised some details about a few names on this page, notably the SMITH, DOTY and FILKINS names. So if any of those are yours, stay tuned!

It is nice that I am beginning to hear from folks who are searching for their ancestors, hoping to find them in our pages. I spent some time this morning at the Scipio History Corner, looking through our Town Meeting notes and tracing the WATKINS surname. The notes began in 1794; 214 years ago when the road from Sherwood to Aurora was little more than a pathway in the dirt.

I think when I complete the 1800 census transcription, I'll start to put some of the more interesting facts and some names from the Town Meetings on here. What do you think?

Here are the names from the 5th page of the Scipio census for 1800:

Jehiel Parks
Isaac Doty
John Armstrong
William White
Frederick Gehart
Lewis Lewellan
George Gehart
Eload (?) Spencer
Abraham VanDuzer
John Filkins
Abraham Filkins
John Smith
John Tobias
John Smith Junr.
Jacob Smith
John Flinn
James Richardson
James Burns
Reuben Doty
Elisha Doty
Joel St. John
Asa Castle
Heartman Morrell
Michael (sic) Muraan
James Hallstead
John Davis

No comments: