Thursday, August 5, 2010

Fort Wayne Library

I am still on the road, folks, in Ohio for a few days at my niece and nephew's home near Akron. I spent the last few days at the Allen County Public Library (ACPL) in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I encourage anyone who can to spend some time there. It is a large facility, and genealogy is only one facet of what it offers.
The family history room was amazing. I took a book cart with me and as I filled it from my surname list, I found a few other names of interest. As a Scipio Historian, how could I resist the Howland histories, or the Battey and Howie books?
I had downloaded my Family Tree Maker and personal family wants onto my Netbook, and that was very helpful as I was able to be sure I had the correct family line. I found some information that was previously unknown on two of my families that I had pretty much been stalled out on.
I took the cart to a table. There are plugs for computers, or there are research computers available for use. Cameras are allowed, and I took several photos of books pages that I can print and review when I have more time. Copiers are right there as well. And if you use one of the ACPL computers, and find something to save instead of printing it you can use a thumb drive storage device.

No comments: