Friday, August 6, 2010

Auburn Cars

While I was visiting the ACPL in Fort Wayne, Indiana, I stayed in a nearby town. I couldn't resist, it was the town of Auburn!
The town is where the Auburn, Cord, and Duesenberg cars (ACD) were made and I visited that museum, which is on the National Register of historic places.
Much of the first floor is the actual showroom from the early 1900's, the time when these cars were being sold. All the original Art Deco lights, wallpaper or paint and flooring is still there and makes an awesome background for these luxurious cars. I took several photos, and I am going to put together a display for the Scipio Town Offices.
These cars were sleek and luxurious, and I had a hard time settling on a favorite! There was also a display of specialty cars that included a baby blue Shelby mustang, a personal favorite of mine. The second floor had displays of the engines and a room featuring the very first of these cars. On the walls were several prints by famous architect of that era, Frank Lloyd Wright.
The gift shop was nice, and I almost bought myself a wireless computer mouse that was a facsimile of the Auburn autos but settled on a t-shirt and a magnet. I would visit again.

No comments: