Sunday, July 25, 2010

Travels With Sandie

Today's blog comes to you from Ohio! This Scipio Historian is on the road. Certainly, my trip will be easier than that of my ancestors. I am heading for a conference; the National conference of the Daughters of Union Veteran's of the Civil War. It is being held in Springfield, Illinois - the land of Abraham Lincoln. I am excited about the opportunity to see the Lincoln Museum and the several other Lincoln sites in the area. I also look forward to experiencing my first National DUVCW conference. It will be helpful as we prepare for next year's conference, scheduled to be in Syracuse NY.
On my way to Springfield, I will be traveling sometimes on Route 40, otherwise known as the National Road. This stretches across the center of our country, and was the route taken by so many of our pioneer ancestors. I will also spend some time on Route 30, the Lincoln Highway. There are many historical sites along the way and I hope to share them with you as I go.
At the end of the week, I will be going for the first time to the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This is one of the largest genealogical libraries in our country, and I have a list. Actually, two lists - one for me and a few of my "brick walls" and one for Scipio and Cayuga County. Stay tuned!

No comments: